OUR MAY MM COWGIRL -- ANNABEL MASSEY
Annabel Massey sat down with us to share her story. Annabel's passion and dedication to her career is remarkable and we have always admired her style and creativity. She is also our number one fan and we could not be more grateful for her support and love!
1. Tell us about your career.
I work in wealth management at Merrill Lynch as a Private Wealth Associate. I am also getting my MBA right now at the Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University (I’m in the evening program, taking night classes during the week). The program keeps me extra busy, but I’m really enjoying the learning experiences and the amazing people I have met along the way.
2. Tell us about your choice to pave your own path in your industry.
During my time at SMU, I never really focused on finance or saw myself going in this direction, but when I graduated college, I wound up with a summer internship in wealth management and loved it. I loved it so much that it became full time, and now here I am! One year ago, I decided to go back to school and get my MBA, where I am now taking all the accounting and finance courses I never took in college. I’m also looking forward to taking some entrepreneurship classes in the upcoming year.
The evening program is brilliant because it enables students to apply the class room learnings to real-life work situations, and vis-versa. Compared to classes in undergrad, the teachings and acquired skills from my MBA classes are much more relevant and applicable to my everyday job. Although it’s quite time consuming, it’s been a very rewarding experience so far.
3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Not completely sure yet!! But definitely somewhere or something that involves creativity.
4. What's the best advice you've ever received?
Never let other people’s negativity bring down your positivity, because being positive is beneficial to your health, your success, your relationships, and your wellbeing.
5. What advice can you give to other working woman?My 4 pieces of advice:
- Never make a decision based on how you think other people will judge you for it.
- Never be afraid to fail. There is always opportunity to gain from your past failures and/or mistakes.
- Never be scared to try something new and different! The thrill of stepping out of your comfort zone will bring you joy in the long run.
- Never lose sight of who you are and what you believe in. No matter what industry you’re in or where you are in the world, always remember to circle back to what matters to you most because it’s better to be disliked for who you truly are, then to be loved for something that you are not.
6. Tell us why you love fashion/arts and give us a taste of your style!
I’ve always loved fashion and style because it’s one of the best forms of artistic expression. I also love all forms of art. I enjoy using painting and designing as a creative outlet. It’s a fun way to promote an inspired, imaginative and free-spirited lifestyle. When I was younger, I liked making my own clothes and trying out new styles that were different than what everyone else was wearing. I believe that fashion is a way for people to express their originality. I also love being able to wear clothes and jewelry pieces that have different stories, memories, and meaning behind them. Whenever I travel somewhere new, I keep my eyes peeled for something to bring back home with me.
A taste of my style = comfy, cozy clothes with a neutral color palette (I never wear patterns or anything colorful or bright), and with tons and tons of gold jewelry stacked and layered.
7. What is your favorite Madison McKinley jewelry?
The Dare necklace has always been my favorite! The Dorothy earrings are a close second… I literally NEVER take them off. More recently, the Clara and the Abigail necklaces have become favorites of mine from the latest Spring & Summer 2019 collection. They look perfect when paired together.
8. What would be your favorite way to style your Madison McKinley Jewelry?My favorite way to style my MM Jewelry is by wearing 3 to 5 necklaces stacked around my neck, the Smith necklace wrapped multiple times around my wrist for a layered gold bracelet look, the Reed anklet, and of course for the final touch, the Dorothy earrings. This has become my everyday look! The pieces are elegant, dainty, and lightweight, so I never have to take them off. I also love that each piece is so functional, so I can wear them to the office, to school, out with friends at night, and even on the beach!
9. What is your favorite vacation spot? Tell us your favorite spots in the area!
St. Barths! I love St. Barths because the beaches are gorgeous, the food is INCREDIBLE, and everywhere you go involves dancing!! Nikki Beach is my favorite St. Barths spot mainly because you get to dance on tables with great music, but also because there’s delicious sushi (which is my favorite food), and the beach is beautiful.My other favorite vacation spot is Nantucket – it’s my happy place. I have tons of precious memories from spending summers there with family and friends, including numerous adventures with Maddy! From the sunny beach days to the magical sunsets at night, it truly can’t be beat. I can’t wait to get married on the beach in Nantucket next summer (decked out in all Madison McKinley Jewelry of course!!).
10. What is your favorite go to everyday outfit?
High-waisted Levis with a white tee or tank top tucked in, GG sneakers, & 10 pieces of Madison McKinley Jewelry.
11. Are you a wrangler girl or a levi girl?
LEVI GIRL. I think I have almost 30 pairs. I am obsessed.
12. What is in your travel jewelry bag?
In my travel jewelry bag I always pack the Creighton bracelet, the Stewart ring (my favorite ring!) and tons of smaller gold rings for stacking. I also pack at least 5 different Madison McKinley necklaces. I take my MM Jewelry on every trip because the pieces are perfect for any occasion.
13. What is your go to lip balm?
I never go anywhere without Aquaphor! Always have it in my purse, backpack, suitcase, nightstand, etc.
14. If you had a horse, what would you name it?
I used to have a horse, and I named him Peterpan.
15. Tell us a fun fact about yourself!
I am addicted to sour gummies and basically have a full candy shop (aka jars & jars of sour candy) in my kitchen at all times!